Friday, June 15, 2012

[Songs My Son Should Know] Neutral Milk Hotel | In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Three years ago from right now, as Melissa and I were lifting our seat backs to their full and upright positions, each two-or-three bloody marys deep into the flight that would ship us to our rainy wedding weekend in New York as a two-pieced parcel, later to be fit together as one; this song was triggered by the music gods on my earphones as a Call to Post:


It was entirely befitting as a cross-section of what my life had been up to that point as an individual -- but also an example of the antonym of singularity, which, in the case of this story, would be the bond of marriage.

What a beautiful face
I have found in this place
That is circling all around the sun

Here I was sitting in this airlifted carriage beside the woman who had brought me such a very long way in life to this particular moment in the sky; circling all around the sun, trimming the sea, writing pages to a better story.

What a beautiful dream
That could flash on the screen
In a blink of an eye and be gone from me
Soft and sweet
Let me hold it close and keep it here with me

And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly
From the aeroplane over the sea

And our chance meeting years prior caused the realignment of integers so that this life is measured by alternate calculations: a flash on the screen, or a blink of an eye is an eternity or more with this beautiful face I have found in this place.
  
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me

And because of this awareness of the indefinite, we bathe in the beauty of devotion and love without the anxiety of loss; in his arms she will always be.

-----

Later that day, waiting amongst the immeasurable mass of humanity inside of New York's City Hall for our license application, it was very clear that there is no cross section to this life.  The multitude of living organisms that have bisected my life and influenced it in every way possible had led me to exactly there, on that day, with this person.  It was, quite simply, staggering.  There was no single moment, but an explosion of moments.  Every bit of organic machinery working overtime to ensure your fate. I was not enraptured by marriage only three years ago -- just as Enzo was not born only seven months ago, he was created centuries prior, when the gods of music made it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment