Wednesday, January 4, 2012

[Listomania!] Backtracing the many years of [AA]'s Top 101 list. Backtracing, I say.

Consequences, never again same.
I've long been wanting to preserve the end-of-the-year song lists that I've crapped out at the end of each December since 2005.  The main reason being is that twice I've had total and utter iPod meltdowns -- and thus the long months of ear cramping for the distinguishing factor between songs #62 and #63 become lost in the blackness of memory.  After the first iPod incident, where some Seattle trash goblin in the 99% occupied my 'pod for good, I sorta-semi-learned my lesson to document the list somewhere.

Of course i half-arsed it, and the list took a long time to reconstruct anyway -- especially since I had to find many of the MP3s (or AAC - hey Apple!) again to even begin reparations.  But eventually, it was back to the way I wanted it on a fresh 80GB classic.

But then, just this past year, the 80GB got discAIDS and failed me in epic ways.  I innocent hard-reset made my iPod as naked as the day it was born.  Though the 101 lists were preserved for the most part -- had to go MP3 hunting again -- most of the playlists that had been scratched together for our big move from AZ to TX, rehearsal dinners, birthdays, showers, etc, etc, could not withstand the deathblow of a massive crash and a bleached memory.

So, I decided to assemble the lists on Spotify for posterity -- and in the off chance you wanted to waste 56-60 hours listening, be my guest.  Still, Spotify leaves a number of songs off of their inventory, and all of the lists are incomplete due to this factor -- so I will continue to fill in the gaps from time to time.  No Radiohead, for example, and since my lists typically acquire Thom pox, that is a huge omission for me.  Instead, there is some bullshit yoga CD that is providing the placeholder -- and that irritates me.  Just try to ignore it.

2010
2009
2008
2007
2006
2005

No comments:

Post a Comment