Friday, May 18, 2012

[Songs My Son Should Know] The Walkmen | In the New Year / Juveniles / The Rat

On Friday, March 4th, 2011 at Stubb's BBQ in Austin, Texas, you attended your first-ever gig.

As you can clearly see, daddy was drinking solo that night because there's this fable that women shouldn't get blasted while carrying their very small progeny to term -- even though, like, those tickets were totally purchased long before you came hurtling into our third dimension and we weren't expecting you to show up like an early house guest.  I mean, we had certainly invited you to our party, but c'mon, we were still in our robes and funny underwear -- and we had tickets to The Walkmen!

But that's okay -- more for me on that night, half-pint.  It appears you've been looking out for daddy since day one!

Anyway, the circumstance that The Walkmen were your first real show was purely coincidental, and because your mommy is like Tommy from Trainspotting in exactly one way, WE PAID FOR THE TICKETS!  Plus, she was an absolute commando when it came to resuming our normal day-to-day lives even though she was minding the most precious hop that would ever be sprouted.  As the kids today would say, she's the shit.  (Hopefully kids stop saying that by the time you're old enough to be too cool).

 I have to tell you, son, the show was an absolute rager.  I guess I really didn't know what to expect from a band that sounds so un-technically technical on compressed data, but sound absolutely, fucking pristine live.  In the moments of the show, when the blue glint of the stage lights would radiate your mother's face like an immaculate spirit, I was already a proud father.  I was excited to meet you.  I couldn't wait to tell you about your incredible run of luck in your extremely young life.
_________________________________________________________________________________

 
Blue As Your Blood 
In The New Year
Angela Surf City 
Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone 
Victory 
While I Shovel The Snow 
On The Water 
Little House of Savages
Canadian Girl 
All Hands And The Cook 
Woe Is Me 
Juveniles 
Encore
I Lost You 
The Rat 
We've Been Had
_________________________________________________________________________________
Well, at least that's the setlist as best as I could cobble together from the intergoogles (Hopefully kids stop using that by the time you're old enough to be too cool).  Pretty lofty standard by which to live the rest of your life, I know, but I have faith that you will be a billion times cooler than us, that's for sure.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment