Friday, March 23, 2012

[Songs My Son Should Know] Toots and the Maytals | Pressure Drop

This is kinda mommy's contribution, since she's the house Rasta -- and I don't know anyone who is happier to do a bit of dusting and mopping around the homestead than Melissa, because that means Reggae dominates the acoustic wavelengths -- I guess to put her in her happy place while doing the worst chore mankind has ever known.

In a way, I highly respect that.  Who, but a happy Jamaican-at-heart, could find the small positives in the evilest of evils?  Finding your Jah while scrubbing filth is like the meeting of one's spiritual, physical, and mental discipline -- otherwise, the delight of such a happy tune might send one right over the moon never to be grounded again.


This is pretty much how I interpret Pressure Drop -- and it is highly subjective since there are about 10 different lyrics in the entire song (freakin' Jamaicans and their brevity!) -- as in, finding your way through frivolous daily barrage of bullshit and absorbing zen instead, even if its in spite of yourself.  This is an ability that Melissa exudes with the utmost class -- and I don't have that gene at all, but for three-minutes-and-forty-four seconds during this song.

I hope Enzo has collected this matrifocal ability to be zoned-in, while contradictorily, being zoned-out to outside nuisances and aggravations.  He's got a 50-50 shot.  But I think its something he might be able to learn otherwise through this jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment